Friday, July 22, 2011

20th July 2011 - the death of Lucian Freud

I do not feel like explaining why he is my favourite artist, or why I love his works so much. This entry serves as a record.

I can't say I'm very sad, or affected, because he is not someone close to me, and has not exactly "changed [my] life". I don't want to say "it is a loss for the world" because I feel this on a more personal level. Well, for now I'll leave it at "I really admire him".

The word 'love' degrades it's meaning/worth. Saying I love "xxx" sounds so pointless and, for the lack of a better word at the moment, surface-level. Should I use the words interested? intrigued? attracted? It is a combination of many kinds of emotions/reactions I get when I look at his pieces. To sum it up, I might use the phrase "I'm drawn to his pieces". Some intense, some disturbing. And I can't figure out the rest until I look at them one by one.

A few of my favourite pieces:


John Minton
I think it's simply impossible to not feel anything. His eyes..


Naked Girl Asleep II

I seriously, seriously dislike looking at naked bodies [i have no idea why] but these are different because this 'nakedness' conveys a message (message sounds so preachy, but you get my idea), and the sense of discomfort and vulnerability is so... disturbing. It's the extremely disturbing quality of "naked girl asleep II" I like. (girl naked, arms and legs wide open. one would normally curl up. and not be able to fall asleep). (I've talked about this last year. And many times for my art teacher, in class)


Two Men

The contrast between the naked men and the clothed one. I sense discomfort looking at the naked men, fast asleep and it seems as though he feels safe and protected. (looking at his sleeping position) When he's not, obviously. (He is butt naked even if it is just the back view!) The clothed man's hand resting on his calves so provocatively, that rather satisfied look (i feel) makes you wonder what he's thinking about.

At the same time, it looks rather 'pure' because both are sleeping so comfortably next to each other and you think "what can possibly be wrong?" The tension might be imagined (from the viewer's POV). But the first impression it gives is so tense..

A site describes, "fraught with underlying tension".

No comments: